Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 2: update

I am 30km outside Lugo and 135km outside Santiago.  The route has been pretty much walking up or down.  There has just been no walking horizontal.  It actually works to my strength as a walker as my body seems built for mountains.  The typical speedster kills me in the straight away. However the average pilgrim seems to poop out going up the hill or struggle descending. The perfect descent is just enough slope where I can use gravity to let me fall down the hill just using enough effort to guide the fall. On the way up it is turtle speed, constant and determined-step by step.

I am starting to suffer from all the wet weather I have been seeing in Galicia.  If it isn't raining on me, it is the morning dew from the wet grass and bushes that drench everything.  Plus it isn't exactly warm here, averaging probably the high 40s or low 50s when I am walking. I complained the other day to the owner of the albergue that it was cold. She told me she wasn't turning the heat on in July. So I am fighting a little summer cold. Oh well!

Tomorrow I will be in Lugo, a fairly large city. It was another of the Roman fortress like cities which eventually was overrun by tge Visgoths and then Moors.

No comments:

Post a Comment