Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 4: the last of the Primitivo

I would say the Primitivo is probably the most beautiful of the Caminos.

The next day I would walk another 33km on the Camino Frances toward Santiago. It was the same stretch I covered 8 months ago coming from the Camino Norte. There were pilgrims everywhere.  A lot of Americans too which was a culture shock as I saw none on both the Camino Primitivo and Camino de la Plata. Vendors were hawking pilgrim crap along the path. I saw pilgrims talking on their cell phones. It was kind of depressing.  At mile marker 17km to Santiago,  I hopped on a bus to Santiago.  I wasn't enjoying the Camino anymore.  I realize that it is not a 'pilgrim' like thing to do. But under the zoo-like conditions,  it wasn't the Camino for me any more. I was arteries.  

Three Caminos in less than a year.  The Camino Frances(by way of the Primitivo), Camino Norte, and Camino de la Plata. A total of almost 2800km. It has been an absolutely wonderful experience being on the Camino as opposed to necessarily finishing them. The local Spaniards have been the best part. I felt welcomed like family, invited into homes for food/beverages, patiently guided and cheered on.  The next best thing have been meeting the fellow pilgrims from all over the world.  Most of them are 'spiritual' types who don't believe in organized religion,  an irony given the history of the Camino.  The third best thing is that the Camino is a great (and inexpensive)way to see everyday Spain and its beauty. A path courses through the main arteries of the country while cheap accommodation awaits in the albergues. My goal was to experience Spain in as much of its realness as I could.  That has happened for me.  All in all, the Caminos have been a wonderful gift to have experienced! 

o

No comments:

Post a Comment